Recipe Requests

If anyone would like a recipe, baking tips or help with choosing the best baking equipment - please ask!


Simply follow the blog and post a comment or send me an email.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Great Sourdough Experiment - Part II

Hmmm.

I have done better. But here is the next stage.

Last time we had the started just, ahem, starting.

After five days of feeding, watering and talking to the jug of yeasty batter it was pretty much ready to use.

So this happened next -


Pretty active stuff...

Once it was like this I measured out about 300g as I wanted a big loaf, and make up the same amount of bread flour. Add a bit of salt and add any watere needed to make a shaggy, decent-feeling dough.



Next knead the hell out of it for a few minutes.


Once that lovely elastic feeling comes to the dough, put it in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and put somewhere warm overnight to prove.

The next day punch it down, knead it for a couple more minutes and press out into the desired loaf pan. The white one is on the left, the malted one on the right was the leftover started I had and decided to finish it off with this loaf.

Leave somewhere warm (I put mine next to the TV..) for two hours. Or until it has filled out a bit more.



Bung in the oven for 45 mins - 1 hr depending on the size of the loaf. Basically until it sounds hollow. High heat, mines a fan oven and it goes in at 200 degrees, a conventional one will be around 220, which I think is gas mark 7ish.


Ta Dah!

It hasnt risen as much as I would have liked, but Im still learning with this. So far my bread is very hitty-missy, and although this one was a tad flat, it tastes good! V tangy and full.

Have fun!


1 comment:

  1. Taste is all that counts :)
    Looks like good bread to me! I am gonna try rosemary & garlic foccacia next !

    ReplyDelete