Recipe Requests

If anyone would like a recipe, baking tips or help with choosing the best baking equipment - please ask!


Simply follow the blog and post a comment or send me an email.

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Quiche Construction

When I think Baking I usually go straight to the sweet side of it. Cakes, biscuits and even sweet breads, so I thought I would shake up a bit and put down a savory bake - starting with something simple, a quiche.

They really don't take a lot of thought to stick together, and its more a matter of assembly and construction than it is measuring and mixing.

Its helps if you have your own hens, and a ridiculous amount of good, free-range eggs that need using up, but thats just me.

Basics - use a roll out pastry. Yes its a cheat.


Assemble what fillings you would like. In this one I did a basic ham, onion, sweet pepper and cheese.




Beat the eggs  and add some milk to dilute. If you have some cream, chuck that in too. This pie dish was about 8 inches across, and I used half a dozen eggs.

Construct - layer the onions, ham and pepper (or whatever fillings you are using) in the pie dish and cover with the eggy mixture. Top with cheese and a few twists of black pepper, and perhaps some herbs of your choice.

Bake in a medium oven until it is done. Its done when the egg has "set" - you can test by lightly shaking the pie dish - if the egg looks runny then it isnt quite finished.

It should last around three days.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment